India has seen the largest daily increase in Covid cases since early October with 72,330 new infections reported since yesterday, bringing the total to 1,22,21,665 cases. Today’s outbreak is the highest since October 11, when 74,383 infections were recorded.
Here is your ten-point cheat sheet on this great story:
- The huge spike in cases comes as the country enters the third phase of the world’s largest vaccination campaign with the vaccination net extended to people 45 years and older.
2. On March 1, the public rollout of the vaccine began for people over 60 and those over 45 with serious illnesses. In the first phase, which began on January 16, health workers and frontline workers were given priority.
3. In the past 24 hours, Maharashtra’s Covid total has climbed to 28.12,980 total cases with 39,544 fresh infections. The state has recorded the highest number of cases since the start of the pandemic.
4. The outbreak of Covid in the country is due to a new strain and the situation is exactly like it was in the UK when the virus mutated around Christmas, Dr Randeep Guleria, head of the All India Institute of Medical, told NDTV Delhi Sciences.
5. Karnataka has reported 4,225 new cases of COVID-19, a 42% increase from the previous 24 hours. In Bangalore, around 500 children had tested positive for Covid as of March. The reopening of schools for certain levels makes the situation different from last year where cases increased in the first wave.
6. Gujarat experienced the highest peak in one day since the start of the pandemic on Wednesday with 2,360 new cases of the coronavirus.
7. Today, voting is also taking place in Assam and Bengal for the second phase of national elections with all Covid protocols mandated by the government in place.
8. Considering approval for teens to receive their vaccines before the next school year, BioNTech-Pfizer said on Wednesday that their vaccine had shown 100% efficacy against the coronavirus in 12 to 15 year olds, adding that they planned to submit data to the US drug regulator.
9. In India, more than 6 crore of vaccine has been administered to date. The country aims to vaccinate 30 million people by July.
10. Worldwide, the number of cases has increased to 12.88.63,830; 28,15,358 deaths have been recorded to date.